If you have a Marine Officer in your life, and want to buy them something (maybe for a birthday, to celebrate commissioning, graduation from The Basic School, or simply because you love them) then this list is for you.
This list will be divided into sections; books, tactical gear, fitness, and miscellaneous.
1) One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick. See our full review here.
2) Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink. A detailed guide on leadership from the battlefield to the boardroom. Full review here.
3) Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes. Possibly the best novel about war ever written. The fact that Marlantes was a decorated Marine infantry officer only makes it better.
4) What It Is Like To Go To War by Karl Marlantes. A searing memoir about the experiences fictionalized in Matterhorn.
6) Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Historical fiction about the battle of Thermopylae (300 Spartans) that provides sharp insight into what it means to be an officer.
7) With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge. The toughest battles of WWII that helped the Marines earn their reputation, written by a grunt who fought them.
8) The Art of War by Sun Tzu. The ancient Chinese text that is the original work of strategy. Read by Napoleon, the German General Staff, and General Norman Schwarzkopf (to name a few). The foundation for maneuver warfare, the Marines' specialty. See our full review here.
9) Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life by Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley. You know when you have a gut feeling that something just doesn't feel right? This book will tell you why.
10) On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Lt. Col Dave Grossman. An eye-opening book about how the military conditions its troops to kill the enemy, and the implications of that for society as a whole.
1) Benchmade-- Griptillian 551 knife. Because sometimes a multi-tool just isn't cutting it, pun intended.
3) Leatherman MUT Multitool. For those times when you need more than just a blade, this is the multitool you want . Designed specifically for military use? Check. Able to operate it with only one hand? Check. Made in the USA with a 25 year warranty? Check.
4) Jetboil Flash Camping Stove Cooking System. Because eating cold MREs sucks, and the Marine Officer in your life deserves better than that while in the field.
5) Suunto Core Military Watch. While a G-Shock gets the job done, this is the next level up.
1) TRX Suspension Trainer. Designed by a Navy SEAL, so your Marine can work out anywhere at any time. See our full review here.
3) Nike Romaleos 3 Weightlifting Shoe. For the Marine in your life who is seriously into weightlifting.
4) Ascent Native Fuel Whey Protein Powder. The best protein powder on the market. See our full review here.
5) Iron Gym Pull-Up Bar. This might be a not-so-subtle way of telling your Marine that his/her pull-ups are slacking.
6) Concept 2 Rowing Machine. For the Marine in your life who is building a home gym. The ultimate cardio tool, for both sustained and high intensity workouts.
1) Vitamix Blender. For the Marine in your life who likes smoothies. Quite simply the best blender in the world. It's not cheap, but it will last a lifetime. This is the one that the pros use.
2) Patagonia Sweater. For all the times that the Marine in your life is not in uniform.
3) Patagonia Black Hole Duffel Bag. Because Marine Officers travel a lot, and this will give yours an excuse to come home.
4) The Art of Shaving Midsize Kit. Shaving is an integral part of every (male) Marine's daily routine. This will give him a reason to look forward to it.
5) Randolph Engineering Aviators. Because at the end of the day, it's all about looking cool. Timeless style from a brand with strong military ties, making a quality product right here in the USA.